July 25, 2010

Newly smart, but still working on my herbal wellbeing

It’s been fascinating to study the package labeling on the products we’re buying. African labeling demonstrates far more regard for one’s self esteem than American labeling and I find myself strangely seduced by those little psychological boosts! For example, take clothes washing detergent.



This sunny, floral-decorated package practically compels you to choose it from the grocery shelf. It was only when I got it home, I realized the more profound personality benefits that accrue from my choice.




I’ve never been called a smart sista before but I’m thrilled to know by virtue of my washing powder choice, I’m now among the ranks of countless other fellow smart sistas. I think I’ll go get a cup of coffee and have some time for myself to contemplate that. After all, I have permission from the smart sistahood to do so.



I wonder if the sistahood would be offended if I pointed out the usage rules for it’s. Probably. I think I’ll wait until I’ve bought a few more packages of Sunlight 2 in 1 and my sista credentials are a little less tenuous before I attempt that.

On the other hand, while I may be smart, apparently, I haven’t achieved herbal well being just yet. Here’s the liquid hand wash I bought for the bathroom.





I chose it because it works with the color scheme, but when I got it home, like my choice of washing powder, it too, can confer benefits beyond removing germs from one’s hands.





As I meander through my hand washing with this product, it ostensibly aids in my herbal wellbeing. I’m all for that. After all, I once lived in Santa Fe. I fully understand how important herbal wellbeing can be.

In addition to a self-esteem boost, some products educate as well. Here’s what I learned yesterday from the ketchup bottle.




Hope these little ketchup factoids come in handy for dinner party conversations this weekend.




This is the label from our milk carton. Come Sunday, if you’re bored with the New York Times crossword puzzle, here’s a fun (subjectively speaking) problem to work out over morning coffee: Determine how many calories are contained in a 100 ml serving of this milk. (HINT: kJ = kilojoule) So, there you go – off to Wikipedia with you!

As for me, I’m putting on another load of washing and re-uniting with my sistahood while I let the washer do it’s (AARGH) thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment