October 15, 2010

Driving on the Left

We’re getting used to it. There have been times recently where we actually successfully signaled for a turn without also running the windshield wipers. It’s all getting easier. Still, I am always reminding myself, ‘stay left, stay left’.

Driving here has some similarities to driving in Albuquerque. Very few intersections have a turn arrow so people stack up in the intersection waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so they can turn right. Given that the traffic can be thick here at times, we have become like the native Windhoekers, making our right turn once the lights have turned red. Good thing we had perfected that process before we left Albuquerque.

Recently we successfully drove on the left about 54 miles south of Windhoek to this location.

Tropic of Capricorn

Scenery at the Tropic of Capricorn sign

Donkey cart tracks on the side of the road at the Tropic of Capricorn
The other night, I couldn’t fall asleep. I thought if I conjured up some comforting thoughts, I could drift off to sleep. I decided to visualize driving up to and going into my home in Albuquerque. So in my mind, I drove up the street that leads to my house, pulled into the driveway, paused to take in the sensation that I was home, and just as I got to the door, was shocked to recall that I had driven the entire route all on the left!

After eight more months of driving here, we’re going to be in big trouble when we get back to Albuquerque.

No comments:

Post a Comment